If you are planning on painting the outside of your house, or your fence or deck, or even the ceiling inside your home then you probably want to find an affordable solution. The best option, especially if you are a DIY kind of person like me, is obviously to do it yourself and potentially save yourself hundreds or even thousands of dollars versus hiring a so called professional.
Now, if you plan on doing your painting job with just a brush or roller… then maybe you should just hire the pro. However, since you are here reading this site, I can tell you are smart enough to know what you really want is a paint spraying machine to make your task faster, easier, affordable and of course to make whatever you’re painting look great!
Sounds like you right? Well, let’s read some reviews and find the top rated machine for you!
|Image||Model||Max Flow Rate||Horsepower||Max Tip||Price||Rating|
|Graco Magnum X5||0.33 GPM||1/2 HP||.015 in.||Check Latest Price Here|
|Wagner ProCoat||0.29 GPM||5/8 HP||.015 in.||Check Latest Price Here|
|Graco Truecoat II||N/A||N/A||.015 in.||Check Latest Price Here|
|Graco Magnum X7||0.31 GPM||5/8 HP||.017 in.||Check Latest Price Here|
|Homeright C800879 Power-Flo Pro||0.24 GPM||1/2 HP||.015 in.||Check latest Price Here|
|Titan Advantage 200||2.20 GPM||5/8HP||.017 in.||Check Latest Price Here|
|Wagner Pro Coat 0515034||0.24 GPM||1/2 HP||.015 in.||Check Latest Price Here|
What Are The Differences And Which Is The Best Sprayer for Me?
There are many different types of paint spraying guns on the market and this can be a little confusing for the consumer. So what are the differences between them? Now, it’s not too complicated, but it’s definitely a bit more complex than answering “What is red and smells like blue paint”. Oh, you want the answer? Red paint 🙂
HVLP Paint Sprayer:
This stands for High Volume Low Pressure. With this delivery method paint is delivered at a much higher volume but while using lower pressure meaning that more paint ends up on the surface than in the air. HVLP paint machines are extremely popular because of their versatility which makes them the best paint sprayer for painting small objects, trim, doors, and shelving.
Hand-Held Cup Sprayers:
These are much smaller and the paint container, known as the cup, is attached directly to the gun. This type of sprayer runs on electricity, not air so they are also classified as ‘airless’. This type of gun is best for the homeowner and Do- It- Yourself enthusiast.
Airless Paint Spray Machines:
Are used predominantly in the residential and commercial painting industries. They use a compressor to mix the paint and produce a finer mist in doing so. However, although this type of sprayer can be used for painting absolutely everything the overspray can be difficult to control. The machine is often large and heavy although newer models are becoming smaller in size.
The Airless Sprayer: What Should You Be Looking For When Reading Reviews?
I think there are some features that are more important to cover in the airless paint sprayer reviews than others. I don’t see how the color of the machine matters much, or whether it was packed and shipped in bubble wrap or styrofoam peanuts. So what does matter? Read on!
- The Brand: Yes, I try to be unbiased, but some brands are just more reliable and well built than others. There is no use in saving a few dollars for a machine that is just going to break or not perform as well.
- The Output: Measured in GPM (Gallons Per Minute). This is important because it directly affects the speed you can paint and the coverage as well.
- Horsepower: The motor needs to be powerful.
- Maximum Tip Size: Measured in inches, you need to know the diameter of the tip as it affects coverage and overspray.
My reviews will discuss each of those points. However, to be perfectly honest, most of these machines are pretty close when it comes to these specifications. Other things to consider are how easy the machine is to clean, how long the hose is so you don’t have to carry it around as much, whether the legs are sufficient to keep it stable and if a handle exists for easier carrying.
As I mentioned, more or less you could pick any of the airless paint sprayers reviewed below and be happy with your purchase.
Which Painting Projects Are Airless Sprayers Suited Towards?
Different spray gun models are tailored to various painting jobs. Smaller jobs such as kitchen cabinets and woodworking require HVLP sprayers. Airless models are a better for the following jobs.
Which One Is Considered The Best Paint Sprayer?
Obviously, the best one is the one that gets the job done for you, with a minimum of fuss and mess. Still, I’d say there are essentially 7 top picks that could all compete for the title of the best airless paint sprayer. My full airless paint sprayer reviews go into much more detail, but here is a short review of the best machines in my opinion. You can read the full review if one of them catches your eye.
- Graco SG2 Spray Gun 25 ft
- DuraFlex airless hose
- 515 Reverse-A-Clean RAC IV tip
- Pump Armor storage fluid (8 oz.)
- Operational DVD and Quick Start-up Guide
This paint spraying machine is ideal for the homeowner who loves DIY. It is lightweight, extremely portable and is easy to store away when not in use. You can choose from light to medium spray coverage and there is a control knob in which the user can choose the correct pressure setting.
This product is ideal for use on interior and exterior walls, fences, and decking. It is particularly useful when you need to cover large areas.
You have to learn how to set up and clean the sprayer but once this is mastered it is easy to use. The DVD guide is a good idea as this makes the whole learning process that much easier!
You can use the paint gun in any direction as it has a swivel nozzle and the main benefit is that it is light and easy to hold. It also delivers the paint onto a large surface relatively quickly and gives excellent coverage. The only thing you need to remember is to cover any items nearby that you do not want painting! In my opinion, this one here is the best airless paint sprayer of the bunch.
- 2800 psi motor
- 515 reversible tip for easy cleaning
- Sturdy legs, less danger of tipping!
- Operational DVD and Quick Start-up Guide
This is the ideal sprayer for do-it-yourself enthusiasts and covers large projects quickly. It can spray 5 gallons of paint in 20 minutes, therefore, covering 2,000 square feet in roughly 30 minutes!
It is an airless sprayer that applies an even coating to any chosen surface. The DVD which is included with the product also makes setting up the sprayer relatively easy.
This sprayer is ideal for use on both the exterior and interior of your home. It is particularly effective on interior doors.
The unit is extremely easy to use and to adjust when painting. There is also not too much overspray with this product. You can purchase many aftermarket accessories that help reduce overspray as well.
One major benefit of this sprayer is that it is extremely light, only 19 pounds so therefore making it very easy to control and ideal for women. It also means that you can use it with one hand. The 25-foot hose is also a major benefit as this means that you can get to all of those difficult to reach places.
- 2,800 PSI electric piston-pump paint sprayer with 1/2-horsepower motor
- Includes a 25-foot high-pressure airless spray hose
- Carry handle for easy transport
- Supports up to a .015 airless spray tip and includes a gun swivel
The Wagner ProCoat is an electric piston pump paint sprayer and is particularly useful in spraying thick latex paints without having to use thinning. The product can spray a gallon of paint in 5 minutes. Therefore this sprayer is ideal for use on large surface areas such as exterior walls and decking.
The unit comes with an adjustable pressure control which helps to control overspray, the spray gun also swivels, therefore, giving the user more control on where the paint is directed.
This one is incredibly flexible and although ideal for large jobs can be used to paint inside the house, such as on doors, cabinets, and pieces of furniture. The device is also incredibly easy to use and easily assembled.
Although on the heavy side there is a carry handle and once in use, there is a long hose which will allow you to reach all of the areas needed without moving the actual Wagner ProCoat.
The paint is sprayed quickly and it is easy to dismantle and clean afterward.
- Narrow (311) and Wide (515) Pattern Reversible Tips
- 32 oz (.95L) Round Cup with Cover and 5 Cup Liners
- 4 oz (.12L) bottle Pump Armor Storage/Start -Up Tool
- Tilt-N-Spray flexible pendulum suction tube allows you to spray in any direction
- Carrying Case
- How To Instructional DVD
This is a handheld paint sprayer which is extremely portable and lightweight. It also has the added benefit in that you can spray paint using one hand. It is very quick and easy to assemble and you can literally start painting within seconds.
Although it sprays quickly it does so effectively and gives maximum coverage. Usually, only one coat of paint is needed.
This device can be used on exterior and exterior walls and surfaces and if using on brickwork or other rough materials and you need to use a thick paint the beauty of this gun is that paint does not need to be thinned therefore this unit is ideal for use on all kinds of textures.
This is perhaps the best paint sprayer at being very efficient and uses less paint than rollers so is therefore very economical. It also covers areas very quickly so saves you time and energy. As with every paint gun, there is overspray as this is inevitable but with this device it is minimal.
This is my number 1 choice for the best handheld paint sprayer on the market.
- 3/4 HP DC motor
- Fully adjustable pressure control
- Maximum pressure of 3,000 PSI
- Auto prime feature
- Power-piston pump
- Power Flush cleaning adapter attaches to a garden hose for easy sprayer cleaning
- 100 ft. dura flex airless paint hose
- Operational DVD and Quick start-up guide
This airless unit is ideally suited for the heavy duty do-it-yourself enthusiast and professional painter. It gives fantastic coverage on all interior walls and ceilings, exterior furniture, decks, sheds, and fences.
The actual machine is extremely durable and lightweight and is equipped with a fold down handle allowing the user easy movement when spraying and also easy storage. The flexible hose also allows the user to get to all those tricky places. The unit is easy to assemble and clean and there is no need to prime before you can start painting. It can deliver 0.34 gallons of paint per minute and can contain a maximum of 5 gallons of paint.
There is no need to thin paint as you can use directly from the tin. It is an extremely quick way in which to paint and there is very little overspray.
The paint gun is incredibly easy to use and ideal for the novice who has never used one of these devices before all the way to an industry professional.
Tips On What You Are Looking For When Buying A Paint Sprayer
There are many different types of paint sprayer out there and choosing the right one for you can be somewhat difficult. However here are a few handy tips to help you in making your choice.
- If you are choosing an airless paint sprayer, as this can be used to paint everything then you will also have to decide what pump, gun, tip, and hose are right for you to use on your chosen projects, so bear this in mind when you go shopping for one.
- When choosing a device it is also important to consider your project size, this will determine how much power you need and therefore the size of the sprayer. A handheld sprayer is not a good choice for painting the exterior of your house but is an excellent choice for those smaller paint jobs in the home.
- You need to consider your project size and read the manufacturers recommended tip size for the sprayer. The tips size determines the type of paint or solvent to be used, for example, an exterior wall uses thick paint and so, therefore, will require a larger tip size.
- As well as choosing the correct tip size you also need to choose the spray pattern width. The width can vary from 6 inches to 14 inches wide. Smaller surfaces such as fence rails will use a smaller width while ceilings and walls use a larger pattern width.
- Another tip is to choose the correct size of hose. Units with 25 feet or more and have a long extension cord are best for jobs like painting a fence. Having an extension cord also allows you to get to those hard to reach places.
- If you need to transport your sprayer long distances then you need to consider how portable it is. Having wheels or a backpack will make this task easier.
- One really important tip is to consider how much paint the sprayer can store, its paint capacity. This will determine how often it needs to be refilled, so if your project is big you may opt for a sprayer with a larger paint capacity so that you do not need to keep stopping in order to refill the tank.
- Is the sprayer easy to clean and disassemble or assemble? If this is a priority for you then have a go and see how easy it is to do so before you buy.
- It may also be a good idea to check how loud the sprayer is when operating if noise is an issue for you.
- What you must ensure when buying a device is that replacement parts are available. Parts over time will need replacing, so it is best not to buy a machine that has been discontinued as the parts will be harder to get hold of.
- Finally, an instruction helpline or even DVD is of great use if you are having any difficulties with your new device.
Tips On Using a Paint Sprayer
Once you order your new sprayer, you’ll need to be sure you’re using it correctly right?
Always do a lot of reading on your product. The manufacturer is always the best place to know the exact details of using the sprayer. Videos can also be an easy way to learn about your new machine.
Check out this helpful youtube clip.