Table of Contents
- Airless Paint Sprayer Guides
- 5 Best Airless Paint Sprayers For Homeowners Compared
- 6 Paint Sprayers For Professionals Compared
- Alternative Options – Compare More Airless Paint Sprayers
- What Are The Differences And Which Is The Best Sprayer for Me?
- Airless Paint Sprayer Reviews: What Should You Be Looking For?
- Which Painting Projects Are Airless Spray Guns Suited Towards?
- Which One Is Considered The Best Airless Paint Sprayer?
- Graco Magnum X5 (262800) Airless Paint Spraying Machine
- HomeRight C800879 Power-Flo Pro 2800 Airless Paint Gun with Hose
- Wagner Spray Tech 0515034 Pro Coat 1/2-HP Airless Sprayer
- Graco 16N659 TrueCoat Plus II Paint Sprayer
- Graco Magnum 262805 ProX7 Hi-Boy Cart Airless Paint Sprayer
- ControlMax 1700 PRO High-Efficiency Airless Paint Sprayer
- Wagner 9155 3000 PSI Airless Twin Stroke Piston Pump Paint Sprayer
- Graco 390 Electric Airless Paint Sprayer, Stand Style
- Airless Paint Sprayer Kit Krause & Becker
- Campbell Hausfeld PS261C Airless Sprayer
- Titan 0516011 Xt250 Airless Sprayer
- Graco Magnum 257025 Project Painter Plus Paint Sprayer
- Graco 17G177 Magnum ProX17 Stand Paint Sprayer
- Titan Impact 440 Airless Skid Sprayer
- Graco 243012 Airless Spray Gun
- DUSICHIN DUS-036 Airless Paint Spray Gun
- 11 Tips When Buying A Good Airless Paint Sprayer
- Pros and Cons Of Paint Sprayers
- Tips On Using a Paint Sprayer
If you are planning on painting the outside of your house, or your fence or deck, or even the ceiling inside your home then you probably want to find an affordable solution. The best option, especially if you are a DIY kind of person like me, is obviously to do it yourself and potentially save yourself hundreds or even thousands of dollars versus hiring a so called professional.
Now, if you plan on doing your painting job with just a brush or roller… then maybe you should just hire the pro. However, since you are here reading this site, I can tell you are smart enough to know what you really want is a paint spraying machine to make your task faster, easier, affordable and of course to make whatever you’re painting look great!
Sounds like you right? Well, let’s read some reviews and find the top rated machine for you!
Airless Paint Sprayer Guides
5 Best Airless Paint Sprayers For Homeowners Compared
|Image||Model||Max Flow Rate||Horsepower||Max Tip||Price||Rating|
|Graco Magnum X5||0.33 GPM||1/2 HP||.015 in.||Check Latest Price Here|
|Homeright C800879 Power-Flo Pro||0.24 GPM||1/2 HP||.015 in.||Check latest Price Here|
|Airless Paint Sprayer Kit Krause & Becker||0.30 GPM||5/8 HP||.016 in.||Check Latest Price Here|
|Titan 0516011 Xt250 Airless Sprayer||0.25 GPM||1/2 HP||.015 in.||Check Latest Price Here|
|Graco Project Painter Plus||0.24 GPM||3/8 HP||.015 in.||Check Latest Price Here|
6 Paint Sprayers For Professionals Compared
|Image||Model||Max Flow Rate||Horsepower||Max Tip||Price||Rating|
|ControlMax 1700 High Efficiency Airless Paint Sprayer||0.33 GPM||5/8 HP||.017 in.||Check Latest Price Here|
|Graco Magnum X7||0.31 GPM||5/8 HP||.017 in.||Check Latest Price Here|
|Graco 390 Electric Airless Paint Sprayer||0.47 GPM||5/8 HP||.021 in.||Check Latest Price Here|
|Campbell Hausfeld PS261C Airless Sprayer||0.34 GPM||3/4 HP||.017 in.||Check Latest Price Here|
|Graco 17G177 Magnum ProX17 Stand Paint Sprayer||0.34 GPM||3/4 HP||.017 in.||Check Latest Price Here|
|Titan Impact 440 Airless Skid Sprayer||0.54 GPM||7/8 HP||.023 in.||Check Latest Price Here|
Alternative Options – Compare More Airless Paint Sprayers
|Image||Model||Max Flow Rate||Horsepower||Max Tip||Price||Rating|
|Graco Truecoat II||N/A||Electric Handheld Model||.015 in.||Check Latest Price Here|
|Wagner ProCoat||0.29 GPM||5/8 HP||.017 in.||Check Latest Price Here|
|Graco 243012 Airless Spray Gun||N/A||Spray Gun Only||.015 in.||Check Latest Price Here|
|DUSICHIN DUS-036 Airless Paint Spray Gun||N/A||Spray Gun Only||.017 in.||Check Latest Price Here|
|Wagner Pro Coat 0515034||0.24 GPM||1/2 HP||.015 in.||Discontinued Model|
What Are The Differences And Which Is The Best Sprayer for Me?
There are many different types of paint spraying guns on the market and this can be a little confusing for the consumer. So what are the differences between them?
Now, it’s not too complicated, but it’s definitely a bit more complex than answering “What is red and smells like blue paint”. Oh, you want the answer? Red paint 🙂
HVLP Paint Sprayer:
This stands for High Volume Low Pressure. With this delivery method paint is delivered at a much higher volume but while using lower pressure meaning that more paint ends up on the surface than in the air. HVLP paint machines are extremely popular because of their versatility which makes them the best paint sprayer for painting small objects, trim, doors, and shelving.
Hand-Held Cup Sprayers:
These are much smaller and the paint container, known as the cup, is attached directly to the gun. This type of sprayer runs on electricity, not air so they are also classified as ‘airless’. This type of gun is best for the homeowner and Do- It- Yourself enthusiast.
Airless Paint Spray Machines:
Are used predominantly in the residential and commercial painting industries. They use a compressor to mix the paint and produce a finer mist in doing so. However, although this type of sprayer can be used for painting absolutely everything the overspray can be difficult to control. The machine is often large and heavy although newer models are becoming smaller in size.
Airless Paint Sprayer Reviews: What Should You Be Looking For?
I think there are some features that are more important to cover in the airless paint sprayer reviews than others.
I don’t see how the color of the machine matters much, or whether it was packed and shipped in bubble wrap or styrofoam peanuts.
So what does matter? Read on!
- The Brand: Yes, I try to be unbiased, but some brands are just more reliable and well built than others. There is no use in saving a few dollars for a machine that is just going to break or not perform as well.
- The Output: Measured in GPM (Gallons Per Minute). This is important because it directly affects the speed you can paint and the coverage as well.
- Horsepower: The motor needs to be powerful.
- Maximum Tip Size: Measured in inches, you need to know the diameter of the tip as it affects coverage and overspray.
My reviews will discuss each of those points. However, to be perfectly honest, most of these machines are pretty close when it comes to these specifications.
Other things to consider are how easy the machine is to clean, how long the hose is so you don’t have to carry it around as much, whether the legs are sufficient to keep it stable and if a handle exists for easier carrying.
As I mentioned, more or less you could pick any of the airless paint sprayers reviewed below and be happy with your purchase.
Which Painting Projects Are Airless Spray Guns Suited Towards?
Different spray gun models are tailored to various painting jobs.
Smaller jobs such as kitchen cabinets and woodworking require HVLP sprayers.
Airless models are a better for the following jobs.
- Commercial, Industrial & Professional Paint Jobs
- Painting Interior Walls
- Exterior Paint Jobs
Which One Is Considered The Best Airless Paint Sprayer?
Obviously, the best one is the one that gets the job done for you, with a minimum of fuss and mess.
Still, I’d say there are essentially 15 top picks that could all compete for the title of the best airless paint sprayer.
My full airless paint sprayer reviews go into much more detail, but here is a short review of the best machines in my opinion. You can read the full review if one of them catches your eye.
- Graco SG2 Spray Gun 25 ft
- DuraFlex airless hose
- 515 Reverse-A-Clean RAC IV tip
- Pump Armor storage fluid (8 oz.)
- Operational DVD and Quick Start-up Guide
This paint spraying machine is ideal for the homeowner who loves DIY. It is lightweight, extremely portable and is easy to store away when not in use.
You can choose from light to medium spray coverage and there is a control knob in which the user can choose the correct pressure setting.
This product is ideal for use on interior and exterior walls, fences, and decking. It is particularly useful when you need to cover large areas.
You have to learn how to set up and clean the sprayer but once this is mastered it is easy to use. The DVD guide is a good idea as this makes the whole learning process that much easier!
You can use the paint gun in any direction as it has a swivel nozzle and the main benefit is that it is light and easy to hold. It also delivers the paint onto a large surface relatively quickly and gives excellent coverage.
The only thing you need to remember is to cover any items nearby that you do not want painting!
In my opinion, this one here is the best airless paint sprayer of the bunch.
- 2800 psi motor
- 515 reversible tip for easy cleaning
- Sturdy legs, less danger of tipping!
- Operational DVD and Quick Start-up Guide
This is the ideal sprayer for do-it-yourself enthusiasts and covers large projects quickly. It can spray 5 gallons of paint in 20 minutes, therefore, covering 2,000 square feet in roughly 30 minutes!
It is an airless sprayer that applies an even coating to any chosen surface. The DVD which is included with the product also makes setting up the sprayer relatively easy.
This sprayer is ideal for use on both the exterior and interior of your home. It is particularly effective on interior doors.
The unit is extremely easy to use and to adjust when painting. There is also not too much overspray with this product. You can purchase many aftermarket accessories that help reduce overspray as well.
One major benefit of this sprayer is that it is extremely light, only 19 pounds so therefore making it very easy to control and ideal for women. It also means that you can use it with one hand. The 25-foot hose is also a major benefit as this means that you can get to all of those difficult to reach places.
- 2,800 PSI electric piston-pump paint sprayer with 1/2-horsepower motor
- Includes a 25-foot high-pressure airless spray hose
- Carry handle for easy transport
- Supports up to a .015 airless spray tip and includes a gun swivel
The Wagner ProCoat is an electric piston pump paint sprayer and is particularly useful in spraying thick latex paints without having to use thinning. The product can spray a gallon of paint in 5 minutes. Therefore this sprayer is ideal for use on large surface areas such as exterior walls and decking.
The unit comes with an adjustable pressure control which helps to control overspray, the spray gun also swivels, therefore, giving the user more control on where the paint is directed.
This one is incredibly flexible and although ideal for large jobs can be used to paint inside the house, such as on doors, cabinets, and pieces of furniture. The device is also incredibly easy to use and easily assembled.
Although on the heavy side there is a carry handle and once in use, there is a long hose which will allow you to reach all of the areas needed without moving the actual Wagner ProCoat.
The paint is sprayed quickly and it is easy to dismantle and clean afterward.
- Narrow (311) and Wide (515) Pattern Reversible Tips
- 32 oz (.95L) Round Cup with Cover and 5 Cup Liners
- 4 oz (.12L) bottle Pump Armor Storage/Start -Up Tool
- Tilt-N-Spray flexible pendulum suction tube allows you to spray in any direction
- Carrying Case
- How To Instructional DVD
This is a handheld paint sprayer which is extremely portable and lightweight. It also has the added benefit in that you can spray paint using one hand. It is very quick and easy to assemble and you can literally start painting within seconds.
Although it sprays quickly it does so effectively and gives maximum coverage. Usually, only one coat of paint is needed.
This device can be used on exterior and exterior walls and surfaces and if using on brickwork or other rough materials and you need to use a thick paint the beauty of this gun is that paint does not need to be thinned therefore this unit is ideal for use on all kinds of textures.
This is perhaps the best paint sprayer at being very efficient and uses less paint than rollers so is therefore very economical. It also covers areas very quickly so saves you time and energy. As with every paint gun, there is overspray as this is inevitable but with this device it is minimal.
This is my number 1 choice for the best handheld paint sprayer on the market.
- 3/4 HP DC motor
- Fully adjustable pressure control
- Maximum pressure of 3,000 PSI
- Auto prime feature
- Power-piston pump
- Power Flush cleaning adapter attaches to a garden hose for easy sprayer cleaning
- 100 ft. dura flex airless paint hose
- Operational DVD and Quick start-up guide
This airless unit is ideally suited for the heavy duty do-it-yourself enthusiast and professional painter. It gives fantastic coverage on all interior walls and ceilings, exterior furniture, decks, sheds, and fences.
The actual machine is extremely durable and lightweight and is equipped with a fold down handle allowing the user easy movement when spraying and also easy storage. The flexible hose also allows the user to get to all those tricky places. The unit is easy to assemble and clean and there is no need to prime before you can start painting. It can deliver 0.34 gallons of paint per minute and can contain a maximum of 5 gallons of paint.
The unit is easy to assemble and clean and there is no need to prime before you can start painting. It can deliver 0.34 gallons of paint per minute and can contain a maximum of 5 gallons of paint.
There is no need to thin paint as you can use directly from the tin. It is an extremely quick way in which to paint and there is very little overspray.
The paint gun is incredibly easy to use and ideal for the novice who has never used one of these devices before all the way to an industry professional.
This lightweight and portable sprayer is easy to take anywhere. Offering the new High-Efficiency Airless technology (HEA), it can decrease overspray up to 55% over other airless sprayers.
You’ll love that it offers a durable pump which can last up to 3 times more than many other competitive sprayers. There is also easy to replace fluid section which will maximize the life of the sprayer.
Use the Sureflo Pusher Valve so you can achieve priming every time. This sprayer offers a 0.60-horsepower motor capable of pumping up to 1500 PSI and 0.33-gallons per minute.
This is a new version of Titan’s Control Max range and offers a softer spray for a more consistent finish. It also comes in a 1900 model.
One of the best perks is the 2-year warranty and the fact that it can accommodate a hose up to 80 feet long.
It is the perfect option for entry level contractors, maintenance professionals or just do-it-yourselfers who have some household projects to complete.
It supports up to a 0.017 tip size and features a metal gun with swivel. The 25-foot hose offers abrasion resistant polyurethane cover and a seamless thermoplastic inner tube.
This model also has the QuickFlo valve and Auto-Lube Pump Attendant. Be sure to use the 5-gallon pail bracket to make holding the paint simpler.
The Endurance Pump features long-life V-Max packings, Chromex rod and hardened stainless steel cylinder. The QuikAccess intake valve is easy to clean or clear debris. You’ll receive a quality spray pattern with minimal fluctuation and consistent pressure.
This unit features a 5/8-horsepower motor that can produce an astounding 0.34 GPM flow rate. It also comes complete with the FTx Gun, RAC X 515 SwitchTip (0.015) and Guard plus ¼-inch x 50-foot Blue Max II Airless Hose.
The RAC X 515 SwitchTip is an ideal way to eliminate wasted time when you are dealing with a clogged unit.
This paint sprayer is ideal for working with a huge range of coatings. This includes enamels, latex paints, stains, lacquers and oil-based paints.
This includes enamels, latex paints, stains, lacquers and oil-based paints.
Many people enjoy that this model only takes minutes to accomplish a project in relation to hours with a paintbrush. That means less time wasted so you can move onto your next task.
With the stainless steel paint pickup, you will avoid corrosion down the road that could develop from heavy usage.
The spray gun also features a built-in trigger lock. This is perfect for a quick cleanup. It does come with a 517 tip (0.017) but will work great with a finer finish tip as well.
You can use this to spray latex or oil paints. The sprayer can pump directly from a 1 or 5-gallon bucket for quick cleanup. With its 5/8-horsepower motor and 3000 PSI piston pump for high pressure, you’ll be able to achieve up to 0.3 GPM on most any project.
It also features an easy twist knob pressure control and a 12” to 16” fan width for the ultimate in control over your job.
This is best used for outdoor projects due to the possibility of overspray. You could use it for the fence, garage doors or give a touch up to your house’s exterior paint.
Surprisingly, this model comes with a lifetime warranty on the motor and diaphragm, which is unique to this model.
It also features an ergonomic spray gun to help you remain comfortable while spraying. It is capable of covering large areas at a time with the 3/4-horsepower motor, 3000 PSI and 0.34 GPM.
You’ll be able to use a variety of materials including latex, oil-based paints or stains with the 0.017 spray tip.
It only comes with a 25-foot hose but can carry up to a 75-foot hose if needed. Ideally, you will want to use this for your fences, patios, gates, walls or cabinets.
In addition, there are cartridge valves to extend its life. It also features aluminum casing with brass fittings to create a solid machine.
The hook on the unit is capable of carrying 5-gallon paint cans and the suction filter will help to extend the life of the spray tip.
The ½-horsepower motor can pump out 2500 PSI at up to 0.25 GPM.
The spray tip included with your machine is a reversible 415 (0.015) which can provide a pattern size width of about 8 inches.
You’ll find this sprayer to work best with medium thickness materials including latex, acrylic, varnishes or stains. The pump isn’t going to work with textured materials, block fillers or sealers for asphalt.
In addition, you’ll receive a metal paint gun featuring the integrated filter and locking trigger. There is an aftermarket extension, various tips and filters that can be purchased separately.
This lightweight, stand-mounted paint sprayer is ideal for the serious do-it-yourselfer, property manager, handyman or part time contractor.
It offers the capacity and performance to get your occasional spraying jobs done quickly.
The flexible suction tube will also allow you to spray directly from your 1 or 5-gallon paint bucket.
The fully adjustable pressure gives you the ultimate control over your paint flow to easily accomplish any project. The PowerFlush Adapter will connect to a garden hose to provide for fast and easy cleanup.
In addition, the 515 (0.015) RAC IV SwitchTip allows you to reverse it when it gets clogged so you never have to stop spraying.
With its 3/8-horsepower motor and 2800 PSI, you can easily paint up to 0.24 gallons per minute. This sprayer has a recommended usage of up to 50 gallons per year.
This makes it the perfect option for any DIY homeowner, especially if you are new to spraying. You can easily get through your jobs without using a paint brush or roller.
While it only comes with a 25-foot hose, it will support up to a 50-foot hose so you can reach further. The stable base also makes it convenient for accomplishing tasks anywhere.
This allows you to spray unthinned paints at high pressure. You can even hook your garden hose to the PowerFlush Adapter for a fast and simple cleanup.
The unit comes with a 50-foot DuraFlex hose, but it can support up to a 150-foot hose so you can have that extra reach needed to get the job done.
In addition, you can enjoy the flexible suction tube that allows you to spray directly from a 1 or 5-gallon paint bucket.
The ¾-horsepower motor combined with the 3000 PSI will allow you to paint at 0.34 gallons per minute. The annual use recommendation on this particular unit is up to 300 gallons per year.
The 515 (0.015) RAC IV Spray Tip will allow you to pump numerous materials easily, but it can also support up to a 0.017 spray tip. Using the reversible tip allows you to keep spraying even when you are dealing with a clog.
The ProXChange Pump Replacement System gives you the flexibility to replace the pump with no tools. This eliminates downtime while on the job.
You can use it for trimmings, gutters, and doors as well as some larger projects. In fact, they claim it is suitable for up to 100 gallons per week.
This workhorse features a 7/8-horsepower motor with 3300 PSI and up to 0.54 gallons per minute!
It comes complete with the LX-8011 Spray Gun, a Tri Reversible tip and a 50-foot hose. In addition, the bonus painters pack includes a 415-SC6 Titan Tip (0.015), but it can accommodate up to a 0.023” tip.
The pack also has a ProSource 12” extension, 5 pack of ProSource filters and a 4-ounce bottle of Piston Lube.
This Titan also offers the electronic pressure control and rapid clean features. Use this sprayer to apply stains, lacquers, latex, enamels and most any other low to medium viscosity coatings.
The thumb engaged safety lock allows the handle to be locked when not spraying. This is a great safety feature.
The maximum operating pressure of 3,600 PSI and includes a built-in hose swivel. It features an RAC IV 515 (0.015”) spray tip with a 50 mesh gun filter and RAC IV Hand-Tight Guard.
You can use this with your Magnum Graco paint sprayer.
The replaceable in-handle paint filter will help you reduce tip clogging and can improve your finish. The replaceable gun needle will keep the maintenance simple.
This is a great gun for DIY homeowners, handymen and all professional painters who need to spray a variety of coatings. It works great on primers, stains, latex, and varnishes. It also includes a 1-year warranty.
The forged gun head and 100 mesh gun filter inside set this gun above the rest.
It is lightweight and easy to hold. It can offer up to 3600 PSI maximum pressure and has a four-finger trigger with a soft pull. Use this with most airless paint sprayers to complete your jobs quickly and efficiently.
Many people who have reviewed this gun appreciated the low cost. It was surprising to see such high quality out of such an expensive spray gun.
Use this to complete most household painting projects with a variety of materials.
11 Tips When Buying A Good Airless Paint Sprayer
There are many different types of paint sprayer out there and choosing the right one for you can be somewhat difficult. However here are a few handy tips to help you in making your choice.
- If you are choosing an airless paint sprayer, as this can be used to paint everything then you will also have to decide what pump, gun, tip, and hose are right for you to use on your chosen projects, so bear this in mind when you go shopping for one.
- When choosing a device it is also important to consider your project size, this will determine how much power you need and therefore the size of the sprayer. A handheld sprayer is not a good choice for painting the exterior of your house but is an excellent choice for those smaller paint jobs in the home.
- You need to consider your project size and read the manufacturers recommended tip size for the sprayer. The tips size determines the type of paint or solvent to be used, for example, an exterior wall uses thick paint and so, therefore, will require a larger tip size.
- As well as choosing the correct tip size you also need to choose the spray pattern width. The width can vary from 6 inches to 14 inches wide. Smaller surfaces such as fence rails will use a smaller width while ceilings and walls use a larger pattern width.
- Another tip is to choose the correct size of hose. Units with 25 feet or more and have a long extension cord are best for jobs like painting a fence. Having an extension cord also allows you to get to those hard to reach places.
- If you need to transport your sprayer long distances then you need to consider how portable it is. Having wheels or a backpack will make this task easier.
- One really important tip is to consider how much paint the sprayer can store, its paint capacity. This will determine how often it needs to be refilled, so if your project is big you may opt for a sprayer with a larger paint capacity so that you do not need to keep stopping in order to refill the tank.
- Is the sprayer easy to clean and disassemble or assemble? If this is a priority for you then have a go and see how easy it is to do so before you buy.
- It may also be a good idea to check how loud the sprayer is when operating if noise is an issue for you.
- What you must ensure when buying a device is that replacement parts are available. Parts over time will need replacing, so it is best not to buy a machine that has been discontinued as the parts will be harder to get hold of.
- Finally, an instruction helpline or even DVD is of great use if you are having any difficulties with your new device.
Pros and Cons Of Paint Sprayers
As with any product, there are always pros and cons and the same is true of these machines. You need to carefully consider what method of delivering paint is best depending on your chosen surface size and where you intend to paint. Here is a list of some of the pros and cons.
- Can cover wide areas
- Minimal effort required
- Cost effective
- Spray painting can cover imperfections such as gaps, cracks, and bumps which a paintbrush has difficulty with
- It produces an even coat
- You have more control over the painting process
- It is labor effective
- Spray painting is extremely convenient
- Less equipment is needed to get the job done and it is less messy
- Can be used inside or outside the home
- Not suitable for all projects
- Best for use on smooth surfaces
- More preparation time is needed before you can start to paint
- Overspray is a major problem – you need to cover EVERYTHING that you do not want to be painted. So this includes any nearby furniture, windows, and floors
- Not really suitable for small jobs as the preparation time and cleaning up the overspray afterward is not worth the effort, traditional brushes are best for those smaller jobs
- The machine can be heavy and difficult to maneuver
Tips On Using a Paint Sprayer
Once you order your new sprayer, you’ll need to be sure you’re using it correctly right?
Always do a lot of reading on your product. The manufacturer is always the best place to know the exact details of using the sprayer. Videos can also be an easy way to learn about your new machine.
Check out this helpful youtube clip.