Table of Contents
- Wagner 0529021 Flexio 890 HVLP Paint Sprayer Station
- Best Features of the Wagner Flexio 890
- What Is This Wagner Model Good For Painting?
- Comparison Guide - Other Wagner Models
- Comparison Guide - Other Paint Sprayer Brands
- Set-Up & Clean-Up
- What Do Customers Have To Say About The Wagner Flexio 890?
- The Bottom Line
A good HVLP paint sprayer is an essential part of any DIY enthusiast's toolkit. HVLP paint sprayers provide a more even layer of paint than even the steadiest hand can achieve with a regular paintbrush with less overspray than air-based paint sprayer systems.
Wagner produces some of the best HVLP paint sprayer systems and their Flexio line is quite popular among DIY enthusiasts. The Flexio line has recently been updated with the Flexio 990 but most DIY enthusiasts won't really notice a difference between the two models—other than the extra $50 you'll pay for the newest model.
Wagner 0529021 Flexio 890 HVLP Paint Sprayer Station
My Overall Rating
Best Features of the Wagner Flexio 890
It also comes with a Detail Finish nozzle that is perfect for touch-ups and small, hard to reach spots.
The spray gun's handle has all the controls including easy-to-use controls for air power and material flow. This is more in line with how professional level models are controlled.
One thing customers really love about the Flexio 890 is that it can use regular paint without any kind of dilution, so you don't have to buy specialty paints or dilute the paint yourself. The Flexio 890 is also compatible with most brands of primer.
Unfortunately, the Flexio 890 does not come with instructional content so you will have to find instructional videos online. Paint spraying is a very specific technique so do some practice runs before starting a big project.
The Flexio 890 comes with a quite powerful air exhaust, so be sure to tape protective paper over anything you don't want to have paint on. This is a fairly common problem with paint sprayer systems of all types. When using a paint sprayer you also always want to do a test spray on an object you don't care about before you start painting as there may be some initial spluttering.
What Is This Wagner Model Good For Painting?
Purchasing the Wagner Flexio 890 opens up the door to completing those larger interior jobs, fine finishing, and small exterior projects quickly. For maximum versatility, the 890 is capable of spray unthinned paints. This also includes paint and primer in one product.
The Flexio 890 comes with two nozzle sizes making it great for a multitude of jobs. The larger nozzle will complete walls and ceilings in record-breaking time. The smaller detail nozzle is ideal for working on the fine finish work like cabinets, trim and furniture. In addition, the lightweight of the unit allows for less fatigue during longer projects.
Many homeowners will benefit from the purchase of an 890, but it can be used by others. Property managers will find the Wagner sprayer can save them money over hiring a professional. In addition, this model would be good for a smaller contracting business.
Comparison Guide - Other Wagner Models
When looking for the Wagner brand, the Flexio 590 and 890 are going to both be in the forefront of your search. There are a lot of similarities between the two including the price range.
In addition to that, both devices can be used indoors and outdoors. On top of that, the Wagner brand has made both of these sprayers to last. The composite bodies do not break down and can even be used in poor weather.
They are both easy to clean machines making it simple for anyone to accomplish a quick paint job. Finally, by purchasing any Wagner model you have access to their amazing customer support. When you need to replace a defective part or troubleshoot an issue, a quick phone call to their trained staff always solves the problem.
The main difference between the two models is what they are used for. If you want to paint a large area as quickly as possible, the Wagner 890 will be the better choice. If you would rather have a paint sprayer that can be taken into the back seat of your car for random jobs, the Flexio 590 is a better option.
Comparison Guide - Other Paint Sprayer Brands
There are two other handhelds that come to mind when looking for a reliable brand. They are available from Graco and HomeRight.
The Graco 17A466 TrueCoat 360 DS Paint Sprayer comes at a comparable price to the Wagner 890. It is also lightweight and portable. The difference is the amount of usage you can expect from the Graco TrueCoat. It is only intended for occasional use but for the same price point as the Wagner. It seems that you would get much more bang for your buck with the Flexio 890.
Another handheld sprayer is the HomeRight C800766 Finish Max. This model is much lower in price, but again, you aren’t going to be able to use it as often as the Wagner. It is only designed for the occasional project in mind and will not spray as fast as the Wagner. If you want to get the job done quickly, the Wagner is your best bet. Invest a little extra money for performance.
Set-Up & Clean-Up
Setup of your Flexio 890 is easy enough for the beginner to accomplish.
- Start by unwrapping the power cord and slide this into the recess. Then, you want to remove the desired spray nozzle from the Power Box. Close your cover and pull the carry handle upwards.
- Your next step is to prepare the materials you need. This will require you to stir the material completely. Then, unscrew the cup from the nozzle and fill the container to the desired level.
- Now you are ready to assemble the unit. Insert the suction tube into your intake opening. Align the suction tube toward the front of the nozzle for downward direction spraying. Align the nozzle toward the rear of the nozzle for upward direction spraying.
- Screw the cup back onto the nozzle assembly and tighten. Insert and twist the nozzle toward the “lock” symbol located on the handle. Insert the air hose into the port in the Power Box. Turn the unit on and you are ready to spray.
- Cleanup of the machine is just as simple. Always make sure the unit is unplugged and then loosen the material container but don’t remove it. This relieves pressure in the system.
- Pull the trigger to allow the material to drain back into the container. Empty the container. Put your cleaning solution in the cup; water for latex and mineral spirits for oil-based products.
- Reattach the cup and plug the unit back in. Spray the solution while gently shaking the gun. Turn the machine off and drain the solution.
- Be sure that you also take the time to clean all the remaining parts of the sprayer. Be sure you never use sharp metal objects when cleaning any of the components.
What Do Customers Have To Say About The Wagner Flexio 890?
Most customers love the Wagner Flexio 890 thanks to its highly powerful air turbine and its easy-to-use controls. DIY enthusiasts really enjoy working with this paint sprayer and many who have worked with other paint sprayer systems in the past prefer this one, especially when you take into account the price, which is roughly half of what other comparable machines cost.
Customers are particularly fond of this machine because it can use regular house paint and primer, making it extremely convenient to refuel. It is also somewhat easier to set up than the Flexio 590, though some people do prefer the Flexio 590 because its paint container is directly attached to the gun.
The Bottom Line
The Wagner Flexio 890 is one of the best paint sprayer systems for DIY enthusiasts. It isn't quite powerful enough to keep up with professional use but it is also nowhere near the price of a professional paint spraying rig. If you know you'll use it regularly but you aren't going to be doing massive projects or using it for significant periods of time every day, the Wagner Flexio 890 is the paint sprayer you want.