Cork boards are functional decorations for your home and office. However, cork board can be boring, and the lack of variety can make many people think to paint cork board to add value to their interior.
If your home is following a specific theme and a corkboard’s original look may be out of place, painting it over can help it blend well with your home’s design. But can you spray the paint old cork board?
This article will discuss if spray paints are ideal for cork boards, how to do cork board painting project at home, and tips that will help make the cork board painting easy for you.
If you own a corkboard at home, it's probably more for practical use than aesthetic reasons. You're probably using cork board to remind yourself to pay bills or write notes to your family members.
But even if cork board has so many uses, cork board isn’t aesthetically pleasing and can disrupt the design of your home, especially if you have a color theme. The best way to keep it without ruining your home’s design? To paint it over. But does spraying paint work on corks?
Yes, it does. You can spraying paint a corkboard. However, you need to use a sealant to ensure that your paint job will last. Cork is porous, so you need to ensure that the paint or any other liquid that can potentially ruin the look won’t seep through the holes.
Another thing you need to remember is not to skip the primer. While it won’t even out the texture of the cork, it will make the paint last longer, saving you money and time in the long run.
But there are other types of corks available in the market apart from corkboards. Can you also spray a paint on entire board? Let’s find out:
Can You Spraying Paint A Cork Bulletin Board?
If you have a bulletin board made of cork, you can use spraying paint to spice bulletin board up and give bulletin board a new fresh look. However, like your regular corkboard, it’s important to use a primer and seal it properly to ensure that the paint will last longer.
Can You Spraying Paint A Cork Coaster?
Absolutely! Cork coasters can be boring and ordinary. If you want something unique, you can spray paint your coasters depending on the theme of your dining area. To get more crafty, you can use painter’s tape to create designs over the coasters.
Can You Spraying Paints A Cork Board Frame?
Yes, you can. While the natural color of corkboard frames is not entirely dull, some people want theirs to be unique to everyone. However, that isn’t possible with this material unless you’re willing to create it yourself. The best way to do that? Paint it with spraying paint.
How To Spray a Paint Cork Board Yourself
DIY projects can be daunting for many people, especially if they require you to invest in many materials while putting in your time and effort. Fortunately, corkboards are generally smaller in size, so if you're just new to the DIY world, you don't have to be scared to try it yourself.
However, before you begin to paint a cork board you need to understand the nature of cork surface. They're porous, so you will need to purchase a sealant to ensure that they will last long. Some may say it's optional, but we recommend you use it while doing paint a cork board to save time and money in the long run. Ready to paint your corkboards? Let’s get started.
What You’ll Need
- 1Before you begin the painting job, make sure you protect the area you’ll be working on. Cover any furniture that may be pre painted on with a newspaper or plastic sheet, and cover the flooring. It’s recommended to work outdoors or in a well ventilated area. But if it’s not available, you can use a protective mask instead so you won’t inhale the fumes.
- 2Once your workspace is ready, it’s time to remove the frame of the corkboard. If it’s permanently attached, you can tape it over with painter’s tape and make sure it is fully covered to avoid paint on the edges. But if you want to also paint the frame, skip this step.
- 3Next, spray the board with a spray primer. This will allow the paint to stick longer to the corkboard. After spraying the first layer of primer, wait for it to dry for at least two hours before applying it again.
- 4Then, after another two hours, start spray painting the corkboard. But don’t just create one thick covering. Lightly spray the paint on the board to ensure that there are no drips that could ruin the entire look. Depending on how light or dark you want the paint to be, coat it again or not.
- 5After you’re done painting it, let it cure for at least 24 hours and apply the sealant. Again, you may want to skip this step, but it will be necessary to achieve quality output.
Why Use Spraying Paint On Cork Board?
Spray painting is the easiest method of painting any surface or material. Unlike traditional painting methods, you don’t need to buy other materials such as crushes or rollers.
At the same time, you don’t need to learn any special techniques to ensure that you coated the smooth surface evenly.
- Squirt acrylic paint into a disposable container or shake acrylic paints can for a minute or two.
- Dip a paintbrush into the acrylic paint and apply it to the corkboard in even, overlapping layers.
- Brush pools of excess paint around to distribute it evenly.
- Using your small foam brush, cover the frame in the acrylic paint.
With spraying paint, you don’t need to have any painting experience. All you need to remember is to purchase the right paint for the surface you’ll be painting, and you’re all good.
With the painting process, you don’t need to learn any strokes. Just make sure that you won’t start painting the board with a thick layer, and you’ll get a beautiful board in no time.
Looking for bargains? Thrift stores sell gently used goods at wallet-friendly prices, perfect for frugal shoppers.
DIY Tips To Consider
Painting a corkboard is quick and easy, especially with spray paints. You just need to protect your area and cover anything you don’t want to be painted.
If you have an outdoor space, it’s better to do it there than inside the house. It will minimize any accidents of painting something and ensure that you won’t inhale any paint fumes. Again, don’t forget to use primer and sealant. This will keep your paint sticking to the board longer.
In addition to protective tips, below are some design tips that will help you get more creative with this DIY project.
Painting corks can be a great idea, but if you want to get creative and adventurous rather than painting it in one single color, here are some painting ideas you can try:
Spray Painting Cork Board FAQ
Which is better, paint or stain on cork?
That depends on what design you want to achieve. Both stain and paint work well with cork, so it’s all up to you. Simply apply a wood stain or paint to exactly match your decor.
Can you chalk paint a corkboard?
Yes, you can. It’s almost the same as painting it with spray paint; you just need to skip the primer and sealer. To paint a cork board with chalkboard paint, prime it by using the side of a piece of chalk to color over the entire corkboard.
How long does it take for paint to dry on a corkboard?
It depends on the type of paint you use. For spray paints, it will dry as fast as 10 minutes. However, you need to let it cure for 24 hours to ensure that the paint is coated correctly.
What spray paint brands are best for painting cork?
All spray paint brands work well with cork, but many users have recommended Rustoleum or Kryolan.
Say goodbye to boring corkboards with this DIY painting project.
Since you can use spray paints on entire corkboard and other things that use cork, you can now create your own design that will blend well in your house.
Just follow our design tips above if you want to try something new, but feel free to experiment to achieve the design you want.