In the world of floral arrangements, there are a few options: fresh, dried, and artificial. While most tend to think of fake flowers as plastic bouquets, Sola provides an eco and craft-friendly alternative – wooden flowers.
These typically come in neutral colors, which are not always right for your needs but are completely customizable. Need to know how to dye Sola wood flowers? We have all you need to know below.
Things You’ll Need
Once you have decided what color scheme to go with, you will need the following items to dye your wooden flowers:
Step By Step Tutorial
Here are our tips on how to dye Sola wood flowers with acrylic paint:
- 1First, gather your materials in a well-ventilated area and put on your protective gear.
- 2Lay down your protective sheets, towel, or newspapers.
- 3Fill your bowl about halfway to three-quarters full.
- 4Add softener or glycerin here according to product instructions and mix (optional).
- 5Once the water is at room temperature, add your paint of choice. For the Sola wood flowers dye to water ratio, we recommend a 1:2 ratio of water to paint, but there is room to experiment.
- 6Dip a test flower into the water bloom first and add more paint or water accordingly.
- 7Once the color is what you wish, dip your flowers in bloom-side down, gently swirling them into the mixture. You may want to adjust the petals before dipping if the Sola flowers are squashed or malformed.
- 8Once done, gently shake off the excess back into the bowl and place the flower in the egg carton to dry.
- 9Repeat for the desired number of flowers, doing more than you think you need. Remember to stir the water mixture every 3-5 flowers to ensure the dye doesn’t settle at the bottom of the bowl; you will see this when using see-through bowls.
- 10Once all your flowers are dyed, let them dry in a well-ventilated space out of direct sunlight for 24 hours.
- 11After they are dry to the touch, you can apply a second color as above if you wish, or you can dry paint details for a more lifelike finish.
- 12Apply a top coat if you wish. A clear spray paint will help preserve your Sola flowers for years to come.
Alternative Dyeing Sola Wood Flowers Techniques
There are a few other ways to color your wooden blooms that are not listed in our above Sola wood flowers dye tutorial. Some other options for brightening your new assortment up include:
Each of these options comes with its pros and cons when it comes to dyeing your wood flowers. Ultimately, you need to decide which method is best for your craft project and end goals. What you choose will be affected by your budget and what is available.
How To Make Sola Wood Flowers Last?
Once your beautiful new blooms have been arranged, you want to make sure your hard work lasts. Some things to bear in mind to increase their lifespans include:
- 1Use glycerin or softener to ensure that they do not dry brittle. This is a crucial step that will prolong the life of your flowers.
- 2Keep them away from spots that get long periods of direct sunlight, as it will cause your colors to fade and the wood to dry out.
- 3Keep handling them to a minimum to avoid chipping or damaging them.
- 4Keep water, cleaning solutions, and other fluids away from your Sola Wood Flowers.
- 5Use a topcoat for added dye durability.
- 6Keep the arrangement in a well-ventilated area.
How long a Sola flower and its dye job last depends on a variety of factors, including how often it is handled, the quality of the dye, the type of wood, and more. However, with proper care and storage, you should be able to enjoy your bouquet for years to come.
Frequently Asked Sola Flower Questions
How do you dye Sola wood flowers darker?
While we did suggest a 2:1 ratio, your dye job will require some experimentation to get the color you want. If you want a darker dye job, add more paint – start light and work your way up as you paint.
Can you spray paint Sola wood flowers?
Yes, it is possible to spray paint your wood flowers for a stronger color. When spray painting, you will want to wear gloves and maybe move the petals around to get in each nook and cranny.
By following our Sola wood flowers dye instructions, you can have a fun afternoon of crafting that results in a beautiful permanent arrangement. This simple craft can be used to create event bouquets, potpourri arrangements, or confection décor that will bring joy for days to come.